Friday, July 23, 2010

Aqueous schmaqueous

Today was kinda quiet so I decided to make some stuff for a mail art project. (Thankyou, unknown organiser in Canada, for ensuring that my creative block-inducing question of "why the hell am I doing this?" may now be answered with "to send to a complete stranger on the other side of the world".)

They're each about 15cm tall and done in watercolour - a medium which I was more acquainted with when I was 14, frankly. Oh well.


The second one was partially done while watching the 1979 film "Caligula", a parable for the follies of blind hedonism (read: explicit skin flick as only the 70s could do it) starring the absolutely delicious (read: absolutely delicious) Malcom McDowell as an indulgent, violent, perverse, incestuous and all 'round insane Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, or Caligula, Emperor of Rome. I lost track of the number of orgy scenes after a while and thanks to the quality of the film of the day, combined with the copy I was watching being on VHS, I don't think I'm ever going to fully understand what was going on in them.
If you're ever going to watch this little gem, keep an eye out for the epic battle between naked Roman troops and a riverbank of papyrus, a building facade with whirling blades at the foot of it slowly advancing across a stadium to decapitate the poor sods buried neck-deep in its path, a masked Helen Mirren (as Caligula's wife) strapped spread-eagled before a crowd of senators as she gives birth, and, of course, all manner of things shaped like genitals.

What this film lacked in coherency, logic and good taste it most certainly made up for in set, prop and costume design. I give it three unnecessary shots of arses out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment