Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Freakin' weekend

Man, what a hectic few days it’s been. The markets were quite quiet. A few people bought things from me, but most coming through were more interested in second hand clothes than anything. Still, the ego boost I received, even from those I couldn’t extract caaaash money from, was definitely worth it.

Speaking of, here are the other things I ended up selling. Or tried to sell.  

Some handmade bags with buttons I moulded out of fimo: 
    

And, the most fun of all, these little brooches that are basically doodling in textile form. 




After the markets I headed down to catch the last of Reclaim the Lanes. That is, all the bits after the actual lanes – the party in the park and the afterparty. It was an awesome time replete with cuddles, mild brain damage and lovely people everywhere. A fantastic weekend.



Followed by two days of agony. I thought my head had betrayed me for good.

But luckily when I woke up this morning I found that my noggin was back from its holiday in the quagmire, so I’m getting back to sewing for some more markets I might be doing on Wednesday!

Still, I don’t know where exactly I’m going with my creative output these days. I still want to make things that engage with a concept but making things that are mostly aesthetic involve so much less pain, and also have the added appeal of being able to attract compliments more readily – so essential keeping the fragile artistic ego inflated to a functional degree.

More than before I’m also feeling strung out between wanting to make art that is of that pre-verbal, sublime wonderment and one that is tied to something in the “real world”.  Between real world significance and beauty for beauty’s sake. Does one contaminate the other when both are engaged?

I feel differently about this all than I did at uni. With distance from the hardXcore conceptuality of my studio I feel that I’m either regressing or moving towards a happy midpoint.

I guess only time and actually doing something will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment