Thursday, July 5, 2012

Oh my.


 Don't get me wrong. I'm like most other people; I don't enjoy my job. But sometimes, despite the mind-numbing boredom, it's worth staying late.

Outside, as the light slowly fades, the glazed windows of the skyscrapers that surround my building begin to lose their reflectivity. Rows upon rows of interior fluorescent lighting become apparent, the buildings transformed from solid monoliths to labyrinthine hives as the sun eases below the horizon. So exposed, they invite the eye in to their hollows, vast concrete and steel skeletons leaking artificial luminescence into the night.

My poor attempt at prose does not do this phenomenon justice. It is such an exhilirating feeling to see inside these vast structures, so imposing and so complex.

I like looking out and I like looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment